Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Realm of bullying

What are we dealing with in this new realm of bullying? There seems to be a whole advanced version of this torment. I can say that a lot of the physical part of bullying seems less of an issue today than it was 15 years ago. Not that it isn't still there, cause it is. However, cyberbullying seems to be the BIG issue today and I would have to agree. The cyberbullying on Amanda Cummings memorial facebook page absolutely threw me for a whole new loop. I sat there for hours on end "fighting" for this page to be taken down due to the graphic pictures and comments from "trolls". I ended up starting a whole new memorial page for Amanda Cummings, one that I would monitor with all my heart, as if she were my own! I was appalled by the number of death threats I personally received from these "trolls" for making this page. I still randomly get a message but I'm in it to win it. Nobody is scaring me away from something I feel is right.
There were 2 others that I can remember sitting on that page with me as if we were sharing the weight of the world. Between the 3 of us, we didn't give up until they, whomever "they" were, took the page down completely. That was the biggest relief I have felt in a long long time. And let me tell you, as a mother of a teenage girl and a tween boy...that says a lot!

I'm trying to conform/transform my brain into what these bullies are thinking and doing. And to no avail...It would be one thing to wrap my mind around their motives but a whole different story to get my heart to agree with the actions that cause so much hurt to someone.
The one thing I am learning is that it's so much easier for people to say things through a computer or cell phone.
They are hidden behind a screen. They can't be held responsible for their actions when nobody even knows for sure who they are.
Well...what better way to make yourself feel better then to down~grade someone. Which is what bullies do... And to be able to do it "faceless" is beyond perfect! It really doesn't take much of anything to make up accounts for whatever social media sites on the web. Having 4 different Facebook pages  is not abnormal for kids these days. They can be someone else...they can talk without consequences. They can live a fantasy life all over the internet!

Looking back I don't know what I'd choose if I had a choice between being physically assaulted over and over vs. being threatened and harrassed online...but I do know that both should be taken seriously! I don't know, maybe I'm way off here. Either way, we all have to agree that it's uncalled for. If you threaten someones life, whether to their face or through email, it should be punished just the same.
Think of all the jobs it would create in this low economic situation we are in! We could be "killing 2 birds with one stone." Just like pedophiles out there on the Internet...lets find these bullies and hold them accountable. I personally believe that the Internet is a privilege and if it's used to harm people, even if it is "just emotionally/mentally" it's a privilege that needs to be taken away.
Just like those that drink and drive. Their licence is pulled for a certain amount of time...let's make it mean the same to those that are pushing our kids over the edge of life...Just a thought.










No comments:

Post a Comment