Saturday, January 28, 2012

Adult bullies?


As I wait in the lobby of my daughters therapy appointment, I over~hear a couple of parents talking...loudly. I'm not at all complaining that these two are having a somewhat loud discussion. Nope, not at all...however, I had an issue with what they were talking about.

As it stands I'm avid in the ANTI~bullying world . I have done many things to get where I've gotten and I will NOT stop fighting for our children! We have young souls choosing to take their lives for crying out loud. I mean that literally...for CRYING OUT LOUD! This cannot keep happening! It saddens me to know there are that many children out there that feel (or FELT) they either can't (COULDN'T) reach out or are not (WERE NOT) being heard!!! We have to know and believe that these children that follow through with a suicide have been hurting for some amount of time. It isn't usually a choice made lightly and in one night.
It really does make me feel so desperate and like we don't even have time.

Back to the lobby. As I am texting online to a fellow advocate against bullying, I am shocked to hear two adults going through a list of names. Names of kids they say are all "drama" "ass~wipes" and just "idiots". Now, little did they know I am the proud owner of a Facebook page called Hudsonantibullyinggroup. That I am very against bullying! Their own son/step son was in with a therapist as well. And I am very aware of who their son/step son is because of the page I have opened. I too know that he struggles with bullying.
I tried so hard to just mind my own business but seeing as I'm truly passionate about this issue, it would have been wrong to bite my tongue.
I wasn't rude but I explained how sorry I was to intrude/interrupt but that I had to ask if they talk about other kids this way in front of their son/step son? Both ADULTS looked perplexed and before they could even reply I explained that I am in the process of making a very big and much more public bullying awareness group here in our town. I also explained I wasn't condemning them for how they were talking about these "ass~wipes and idiots". I told them I was concerned about whether or not I, as one person, was going to get through to these kids when the adults around them are doing the exact thing I'm fight AGAINST! Ohhh I know I shouldn't have went there with these people but I had to share WHY I was there in the first place. I shared with them that I am there waiting for my daughter's weekly therapy visit which is due to bullying. Her self~esteem and self~worth are completely depleted because of the way people have treated her. I gave them a tiny glimpse into what she has dealt with in the last few years. I also explained that I too have lived through a living hell and felt it was only right I confront the way they were talking about these children. Don't get me wrong...I know children can be horrible! I know first hand kids can be down right cruel. But I don't feel it's right as an adult to put the bullies down. Where are we going to get by doing that? Everyone has a story...a reason for doing what they do...whether it's that they too are being bullied, or  could it just be that these kids are seeing the adults around them talking and acting like bullies themselves?

Parents and adults need to be first and foremost here. They/we are responsible for these children.
Now, I don't know but I'm really starting to think we are screwed! Unless we start holding more parents accountable. If your child is sick, you bring them to a doctor. If your child is hungry, you bring them food. If your child is struggling, you invest yourself and time to comfort your child. You do NOT need a search warrant to invade your kids' privacy. They are kids...they need you to stick your nose in their business. They need you to check their Facebook accounts, etc. You are the adult and need to reach out in ways, even they might not understand right now but sooner or later will. We have got to be more apart of our kids' everyday lives! There is no way around it. We need all adults to stand up to this bullying issue. Only then will we make a difference! Anyone that sees someone being hurt emotionally, mentally, or physically, needs to STAND UP! Tell! Make it a BIG deal! And that's just what I did and will continue to do! These kids count on us. There is a reason kids are not "legal" until they are 18! We are responsible for teaching them right from wrong. If we fail to do so then we need to step up and do whatever it is that will change that!

1 comment: