Friday, January 20, 2012

As if my story wasn't enough...

Here I sit again...taking notes. As my daughter explains yet another physical altercation at school...I must stay calm. I have to question the thought process of kids these days. Why is it they feel it's ok to use their hands and/or objects to hurt another? I personally don't allow my 2 children to lay a hand on each other, let alone another student at school. Could it be that these kids bullying my daughter are seeing that there is little to no consequence for their actions? Could it be that  we just don't have many parents that are invested in their kids life enough to know there is a problem? Maybe our kids have way more power then us parents?
There are so many questions that need to be answered and I'm not going anywhere until I get them. I'm here for the long haul...No child should have to live in fear of others.

When a child is choked by another person, as my daughter was this year...That to me is intent to do major harm. Choking someone can seriously injure if not kill someone. In my opinion that is NOT acceptable and should be taken very seriously by the school as well as police. Now what do I do when I feel it wasn't taken serious enough!?!
 What about the boy that intentionally went up to the front of the class, sharpened his pencil, and went back to the table an stabbed my daughter in the leg? Even though he has done this to another student in the past, it was noted as an "accident". While my daughter has a mark in her leg to this day from the lead being embedded, it's yet another incident swept under the table.
 I could go on and on with the horrible mental and emotional aspects of her torment. And at some point I plan to do just that.


My son came home last year with a black eye and a cut between his eyes. We (my husband and I) are told by our son that he was attacked by 5 or 6 boys on the playground. Due to unfortunate events, we had to move, which led to my son having to switch schools in the middle of the year. So he was the "new" kid. Which is one of the excuses given as to why these students surrounded my son and beat him up. There were bruises on his legs and arms, as well as the injuries to his face. His glasses were bent up to boot. Now, it's one thing this happened to him, but a whole other story that I received no phone call from the school to share this with us. If the school staff did not have time to be there for my son the way he deserved, I would have appreciated a phone call so that I could be there for him.
A recess monitor was made aware of this situation and approached my son saying that he needed to get up and go inside the school. It didn't seem to matter to the lady that he was dizzy and didn't feel he could walk. Luckily there were 2 classmates of my sons that had enough sympathy to help him inside. Later on we found out that my son suffered from a slight concussion but sat through school the rest of the day with little to no regard to his injuries. When they did look more into what happened, they put my son in the same room as the main bully. I could go on and on here as far as how they messed up in this situation. Point is...I had to raise hell for them to understand the seriousness. They are aware how upset I am about what happened. They do not let anything go unnoticed with my son now. They are basically aware of how thin of a line they are on with me. Not meant as a threat so much as it is a demand for my sons safety.

As you can see our schools here in this community do not know how to handle bullying issues. Which is why I've been bringing awareness to bullying. It's an issue throughout that needs immediate attention! 
Here is a video my daughter made after seeing another kid reach out this way. She is worth the fight in my eyes. She is one reason why I wont give up until bullies are punished for their actions.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry your family is going through this. I don't understand the school systems. so many children being hurt and bullied! Your daughter's video was good to watch! So glad she has her friends, family and God to give her the support she needs! Will be praying for her & you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for your thoughts and prayers. It really is confusing as to why the school does not take it serious that our children are hurting.
      It makes me question what they would do if it were their own kids that had to deal with the bullying. Not that I wish it on any kid.
      Thank you very much for taking the time to read and keeping us in your prayers!! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG... I've been in your shoes and your kids' shoes... If there is a school administrator I can call on your behalf, please let me know who to call.

    I had to handle a situation like this last year with my step son. 4 boys held him down and "teabagged" him on the school soccer field.

    The principal said she "talked to the kids" which is NEVER enough. I then told her she had one of two options.. call the parents and the kids in for me to talk to them, or she was going to lose her job and be in the middle of a lawsuit.

    This kind of behavior is unacceptable to the nth degree. It makes me red with fury when I read stories about this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.. tweet.. FB, ANYTHING. let me know. justin.iiams@gmail.com phone is 530-737-3740

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your concern and support. Now if we only had more like you!!!

    I'm really sorry to hear about you step son. That is beyond disgusting and even more so that the school didn't want to take it serious!
    I totally agree with calling the parents and kids in! What an awesome idea! I asked for that option as well but next time I will demand it as you did and see where I get. I believe that is our only hope. Getting more parents involved in this growing problem. Yes, some parents may not do much of anything but then I will at least know which kids will be continuing the torment.

    I truly do appreciate your offer! Phone number and all!!! Very brave and it shows your seriousness of wanting to help with this issue. I love it!

    I will try and find you on FB. I spend a lot of time there...:)

    ReplyDelete